You’ll often find baking soda (bicarbonate of soda or bicarb) a frequent ingredient required in many recipes, but here are ways you can use it to make the job easier and save time when cleaning and freshening around the home.
image by Google
2. Crusty Roasting Pan Fix. Sprinkle pan generously with bicarb, pour hot water over topabout an inch or two deep and soak for a couple hours. Try boiling for a few minutes first if the mess is bad.
3. Bathtub Miracle Paste. Make a cleaning paste with baking soda and bleach then apply to wet sponge to scrub off grime when wiping the tub down.
4. Coffee Mug Stains. Remove stains from coffee mug by wiping mug with a wet cloth then rub the inside of the mug with bicarb. If the stains are stubborn, soak overnight with hot water and baking soda.
5. Sink Scrub. Clean a stainless steel sink by sprinkling it around the sink then scrubbing down with a damp sponge.
6. Remove sticky goo left behind by stickers and labels. Mix with water to make a paste then rub gently into the goo then wipe off with a warm wet cloth.
7. Microwave Cleaner. Got the grungy microwave blues? Clean it up quickly and easily by adding a couple teaspoons of baking soda to a bowl of water and place in microwave. Heat for 3 to 5 minutes, depending how hard the crud is really stuck on. When microwave stops, keep the door closed to give the moisture and steam the heated bowl of water generated to have time to work. Remove bowl (careful, it’s hot!) and take a moist warm cloth to the inside of the microwave. The crud bits should wipe off easily. The added bicarb will act as a deodorizer.
8. Refrigerator Freshener. After cleaning the refrigerator, keep it smelling fresh with an open box or an open bowl/container filled with baking soda.
9. Homemade Air Freshener Spray. Mix 2 cups hot water with 1/8 cup baking soda and ½ cup lemon juice, shake to dissolve and spray in the air as needed.
10. Luggage Freshener. Musty trunks and funky smelling luggage pieces can be freshened up by sprinkling baking soda inside, closing the case and then let sit a day or two. Remove the soda with a vacuum.